The Custom Post Type, also called CPT, is one of the JetEngine feature for organizing your site’s content in a convenient and easy-to-use way for you.
In other words, the CPT is a post type that is different from simple posts. It can have other properties, templates and have its own slug and archive, etc. E.g., you can publish news using default post type, but the content of the project can be displayed in the “Projects” CPT.
Create varied custom post types and display them in the WP Dashboard, add templates with custom settings according to your project’s needs using Elementor page builder.
Keep reading this step-by-step guide to learn how to create a custom post type with the help of JetEngine plugin.
Creating a custom post type with JetEngine
Step 1 — Go to the JetEngine > Post Types section on the left-hand menu in your WP Dashboard.
Here you’ll see the Custom Post Types List screen, where all your CPTs will be shown when you will have ones.
Click the Add New button to create your first CPT.
Step 2 — Now you should fill in the information that is necessary to indicate your new custom post type.
- There is the General Information block, where you should to specify the name and the slug of the CPT.
- The Labels block provides a lot of different customizable fields for the options available for the CPT. You can define needed labels instead of the default ones just clicking the Edit option.
- In the next Settings block it is available to enable certain options, such as publicity, appearance in the admin menu/ nav menu, a rewritten slug, capability type, a menu icon, select which default field types the custom post type should support (e.g., you can choose the Title, Editor, Comments, Thumbnail, etc.) for the CPT.
- in the Meta Fields block you can create necessary meta fields for adding extra content to the CPT. These fields can contain any information you need. You should make sure to choose the proper meta field type to use for the custom post (e.g., Media field type will do for adding a thumbnail image, you can display date and a date picker by setting the Date field type, etc.).
To learn more about creating different types of meta fields for the CPT take a look at this tutorial.
- the Admin Columns block provides an opportunity to add particular additional admin columns to the custom post type, which will be displayed in the WP Dashboard. You can display post terms, date and use a custom callback for adding needed information in admin columns.
Step 3 — When you’ve completed the new custom post type with all the necessary kinds of fields for your content, click Add Post Type button on the right. Your new CPT should appear on the left in your Dashboard.
Step 4 — Next, navigate to the newly created CPT on the Dashboard and click the Add New option (it can be another label if you’ve set the different one in the Settings block).
Creating the content
Step 1 — You can start filling up your post with the content. Here you can see all the blocks we have added on the previous stages: the meta fields, comments, featured images, etc. Take into consideration that you’ll have an opportunity to change your post’s view in Elementor later on.
Step 2 — After your post is ready click the Publish button.
Well done! You can click on the permalink to view how you post looks and continue to edit and design it in Elementor. Please, note, that in order to make it possible to edit the new post type in Elementor, you’d need to enable the editor for this post type. Feel free to read more about how to do it here.
Congratulations! Now you know how to create custom post types using JetEngine plugin for Elementor. Good luck and stay in touch!