Data Stores Overview
This tutorial overviews the Data Stores settings, main features, storage methods, and functionality.
Data Stores Module Activation
To activate the Data Stores module of the JetEngine plugin, navigate to the JetEngine dashboard. Unroll the Modules tab and move the Data Stores toggle to activate the module.
Press the “Save” button.
This toggle adds the Data Stores tab to the JetEngine dashboard if enabled.
Data Stores Settings
Click the Data Stores tab and press the + New Store tab to create a new data store.
The Data Stores tab has the following settings:
- Name field for typing the data store name. This name will be shown on a page created to place the data store;
- Slug field for typing the name of the data store that is displayed in the database. This field automatically displays the hyphenated words from the Name field, but users can change it. The Slug field has the restrictions common for all slugs: only letters, numbers, dashes, and underscore symbols;
- Store type drop-down menu allows choosing a method for temporary or permanent WordPress data storage as:
- Cookies option, if enabled, allows users to store their data temporarily until cleaning the cache data;
- Session option, if enabled, allows storage of user data temporarily until their session on service is active;
- User Metadata option, if enabled, allows saving authorized user’s metadata in the site’s database;
- Local Storage option, if enabled, allows keeping the user’s data temporarily until cleaning the users will clean their browser cache data;
- Max size field allows typing the number of items the user can store. That is the quantity of liked posts by a user or the number of posts added to the favorites list, etc.; the zero number allows saving an unlimited number of items;
- Count items toggle, if enabled, allows the data store to check how many times users can add items. For example, this number of posts can be displayed on the front end
- If enabled, users store toggle creates a store with the user IDs for the server-side stores. It allows users to save other users’ accounts in this store. It turns off the Store item on view toggle.
- Store item on view toggle works with post-related stores: it allows tracing posts visited by the user and adding them to the store. This toggle is used to create Recently Viewed sections. But the number of posts added to such a store will not exceed the number specified in the Max size field: the first items will be deleted, and new ones will be saved instead of deleted. The Store item on view toggle activates the Watch for post types drop-down menu if enabled.
Read How to Create “Recently Viewed” Section Using Data Stores Module in this tutorial.
- Watch for post types drop-down menu allows choosing the post types for displaying single page views (i.e., Posts, Pages, Media, Navigation Menu Items, CPTs, and more).
That’s all about the Data Stores settings, main features, storage methods, and functionality.
Was this article helpful?