Search Suggestions Overview
This tutorial describes the search suggestions dashboard options available with the JetSearch WordPress plugin. Learn how to search and filter the search queries, manually enter the new ones, and edit the created ones.
Suggestions General Settings
The Suggestions dashboard displays the search queries (suggestions) list formed from previously entered real search queries (or those manually entered by the site administrator). Such query suggestions can be displayed by the Ajax Search Suggestions widget.
On the Suggestions dashboard, you can search and filter the search queries, manually enter the new ones, and edit the created ones. Also, you can add parent suggestions to the request with typing errors, so when users type the incorrect suggestions, the search bar will show the correct words or phrases.
Search Suggestion feature settings are located in the WordPress Dashboard in the Crocoblock tab. This tab contains the JetPlugins Settings, including the JetSearch plugin and its Suggestions.
Adding suggestion options
Clicking the “Add New” button opens the pop-up where you can add new suggestions manually. There are such options:
- Name. Here you can enter a search request;
- Weight. The higher the Weight you set, the higher this suggestion will be placed inside the drop-down in the search form;
- Parent. Each suggestion can have one parent. If the entering suggestion has a parent, then this parent item will supersede that suggestion, and the sorting will be performed considering the parent’s Weight. This logic is responsible for typing errors; for example, there are “iphone” and “ihpone” suggestions. We have assigned “iphone” as the parent of “ihpone.” Now if the user starts typing “ihp” instead of “iphone,” they will be shown the parent suggestion, which is “iphone.”
Setting the limits option
The “Settings” button on the top-right corner opens the Suggestions limit settings pop-up. In the Set the limits field, you can limit the number of new entries that can be submitted through an Ajax Search Suggestions widget during a session. All changes will be updated after you push the “Save” button.
Suggestions search bar and filter
Also, there is the Search for suggestions. You can enter the suggestion name into the search bar or filter suggestions by type.
To empty the fields and return all suggestions to the list, hit the “Clear” button.
Search suggestions list
The list designates the suggestions users have typed at least once. Also, you can add suggestions to this list manually by clicking the “Add New” button at the top of the page. The list has such columns:
- ID. Shows the suggestion ID;
- Type. Suggestions can have such types:
- Unassigned. Suggestions without parent or child;
- Child. The suggestion becomes a child if you assign a parent to it while adding or editing the suggestion;
- Parent. The suggestion becomes a parent if you assign it as a parent to another suggestion.
- Name. Displays the suggestion name;
- Weight. Designates how many times an exact phrase/word was searched for once. If a user enters the suggestion one more time, the Weight of the suggestion in the database will increase by 1. If the user enters a unique search phrase and submits the form, this phrase will be added to the suggestion base with a Weight of “1.”
- Actions. You can edit or delete suggestions by clicking the corresponding pencil-shaped or trash-shaped icons.
Editing suggestion options
You can edit suggestions by hitting the pencil-shaped icon in the Actions list column. You can change:
- Parent. Assign or unassign a parent.
That’s all. Now you know how to deal with the search suggestions (queries) with the JetSearch WordPress plugin.