Have you created an online store or an interesting blog? Do you have a lot of posts on the WordPress website, so it takes a long time to find something meaningful?
Then you need a filter plugin to help users find the most important among hundreds of positions on your website. The faster a person sees the right product or information, the better their user experience. So, it is more likely that they will return.
WordPress has a built-in keyword search feature. But often, this is not enough. For example, you sell clothes. Sometimes searching for “women’s pants” isn’t enough to find women’s blue high-waisted jeans. The filter and search systems simplify the task and speed up the search.
Today there are hundreds of WordPress filter plugins. I will review a few of the most popular options and divide them into three categories: filter plugins, search plugins, and those having both functionalities.
Table of Contents
- How to Choose the Best Filtering Plugin?
- Best Filter Plugins
- Best WordPress Search Plugins
- Best Search and Filter Plugins
How to Choose the Best Filtering Plugin?
Before choosing the best plugin, you should establish what functionality you need because modern plugins offer a wide range of features, and it’s easy to miss one.
So, a good WordPress filter plugin should have the following:
- different types of filters (checkboxes, select, date, time, radio, etc.);
- possibility to exclude some results;
- the option to sort results;
- AJAX-based for fast work;
- the ability to customize the results display;
- access to data for analytics.
These are the main parameters you should consider before choosing a plugin. Because they significantly affect both plugin performance and usability.
Now, look at some WordPress search and filter plugins combining advanced functionality and user-friendliness.
Best Filter Plugins
🚀 Best for creating advanced and feature-rich filtering tools.
JetSmartFilters is a plugin that helps you create powerful filters using WordPress editor and Elementor builder UIs. With it, you can create sorting filters, various visual filters, product selection filters, etc. You can combine 12 types of filters to display the most relevant results.
If you want customers to quickly find all the products or items/posts they need with just a few clicks, use the Indexer feature. Using the plugin, you can clearly show users different URL pages without confusing code.
- the ability to create a custom filter system;
- multi-level (hierarchical) filtering;
- dynamic AJAX filtering to update the results without reloading the page;
- 12 WordPress filters;
- compatibility with Elementor and WordPress Block editor.
- the ability to combine 12 filter types;
- Indexer for showing the most relevant results;
- a search filter type;
- customization settings for filters;
- widgets/blocks for pagination, apply button, remove filters, active filters, and tags.
- $43 per year for one site;
- $88 per year for unlimited sites.
Product Filter by WBW
🚀 Best for filtering products by price, categories, tags, etc.
The Product Filter by WBW plugin is great for WooCommerce stores because it gives you complete control over the filtering process. With it, you can filter products by any criterion – categories, titles, features, parameters, etc. You can style the filter with a radio button list, dropdown, checkbox list, etc.
- filtering by different criteria;
- AJAX live search;
- filter statistics section;
- easy filter creation process.
- ability to design the filter section;
- count and recount the products by the given filter;
- fully responsive design.
Pricing: the plugin has a free version. PRO cost starts at $49 for one website.
Husky Products Filter
🚀 Best for creating filters for a WooCommerce website.
Husky (formerly WOOF) is another product filter tool that online store owners will love. It helps to create a beautiful, functional filter in a few clicks and customize it to the needs of each online store.
It is very flexible and allows you to fine-tune the filtering process by any parameter.
- the ability to add a filter using both a shortcode and a widget;
- using the AJAX system;
- filtering products by metadata;
- a large number of search parameters;
- access to statistics.
- the ability for registered users to subscribe to selected filters;
- the capability to save filter settings by users;
- filtering by any parameters you choose.
Pricing: there is a free version. The PRO version costs $42.
Blog Filter Gallery
🚀 Best for creating filters for WordPress blog websites.
The Blog Filter Gallery plugin is ideal for blog sites. It allows you to filter posts by categories or tags. It is convenient if your blog has several themes, and the user can find the one of interest in a few clicks.
- filtering by categories and tags;
- compatibility with various devices, including mobile;
- multiple layouts for displaying publications.
- responsive filter layouts;
- the ability to customize the filtering by different parameters;
- different colors for the filter button;
- multiple column layouts.
Pricing: you can use the free version or choose PRO for $39.
Best WordPress Search Plugins
🚀 Best for adding a live search bar to a WordPress website.
JetSearch is the plugin that helps you add a live search bar to the website in a few clicks. With it, users can quickly find the most up-to-date information and sort it by relevance. The plugin allows you to search sitewide and hide some results if needed. You can set search by CPT, tags, product categories, taxonomy, etc.
- searching the site for content by various parameters and sorting the results;
- AJAX search tools;
- search suggestions;
- ability to design the search results page;
- customizable quick search view.
- $23 per year for one project;
- $47 per year for unlimited projects.
- easy setup and management;
- ability to design a search page;
- AJAX search;
- searching by categories, tags, posts, taxonomies, etc.;
- search suggestions.
🚀 Best for sites with a lot of information.
ElasticPress allows you to use the power of Elasticsearch to search content without slowing down your site. You can create searches based on taxonomies. The plugin will enable you to create a search bar design. This plugin is great for advanced users who will appreciate its multi-faceted features.
- builds its index and therefore does not slow down the WordPress site;
- very accurate search results;
- compatibility with WooCommerce;
- creating a multi-user search;
- the ability to filter by custom content and fields.
- fast site operation thanks to its search engine;
- accurate results and quick display;
- extensive customization and search options.
The plugin is free but must be connected to the Elasticsearch system for correct work. The pro plan’s cost starts at $79/month.
Swiftype Site Search Plugin
🚀 Best for quickly searching through a lot of content.
This plugin is designed for large sites with a massive number of posts. Because all content is stored in the cloud, you do not need much hosting space. Moreover, if you change or delete something in your site posts, everything instantly synchronizes with the search results.
- supports 13 languages;
- all data is stored in the cloud storage and does not slow down the site;
- quick search;
- intuitive control;
- instant synchronization when content changes.
- the site remains fast due to storing data in the cloud storage;
- the ability to create custom filters;
- support for 13 languages, which is especially important for international projects;
- accurate search results.
- Basic: free;
- Pro: $79 per month.
🚀 Best WooCommerce filter for creating different kinds of content search.
With Ivory Search, you can create multiple search forms on your site and optimize them for finding different types of content. The plugin allows you to search by part of a keyword or word. Using Ivory Search, you can create a search for a WooCommerce site.
Shortcodes allow you to place the search bar anywhere on your site.
- the ability to search for images, files, and attachments;
- the capability to search for WooCommerce products;
- AJAX search system;
- it’s possible to create an unlimited number of search forms.
- creation of a large number of search forms;
- searching for different types of content;
- AJAX system for a convenient results display;
- the ability to search for WooCommerce products.
- the Starter version: free;
- the PRO version: $19.99/year for one site, $39.99/year for five websites, and $149.99/year for 25 websites.
Here you can find more detailed information about the best search plugins.
Best Search and Filter Plugins
🚀 Best for creating a customized search for online stores.
FacetWP is a popular plugin for creating various filters and search bars for online stores. It has many features, which you can learn from numerous starter guides. Users note the excellent functionality of the plugin and its compatibility with different page builders. But they do not like that FacetWP does not have a free version, and it is impossible to test it before buying.
- 13 input types for information search: dropdown lists, checkboxes, range selectors, etc.;
- the ability to create filters for any user post;
- integration with custom content plugins, including ACF, Pods, and Meta Box;
- AJAX can be used to display search results without reloading the page.
- the ability to configure filters based on AJAX;
- the capability to create layouts using WP-Query;
- a large number of different types of facets for filters of different content types;
- integration with popular plugins helps create functional pages that suit your needs.
- $99 per year for one site;
- $249 per year for 20 websites.
Search and Filter PRO
🚀 Best for creating a convenient filtering form.
The Search and Filter WordPress plugin is easy to use and has extensive features. You can search by date, taxonomy, category, and more. It dramatically expands the possibilities of the default WordPress search. Shortcodes and widgets help you add a search bar where you need it. You can also easily customize the format of the search fields. Checkboxes, dropdown lists – choose what suits your site.
- the ability to use custom templates;
- the AJAX function to display the results;
- date pickers;
- the capability to create fields with autocomplete;
- eCommerce plugins integration;
- integration with Elementor Pro, Beaver Builder, and Divi;
- extensive design options;
- ACF integration for custom fields support.
- easy setting of filters for any content on your site;
- AJAX functionality;
- the ability to design a custom results page.
- free version;
- $20 per year for one site;
- $75 per year for unlimited sites.
AJAX Search Pro
🚀 Best for embedding AJAX search into a standard WordPress search.
A relatively simple plugin, the main task is to add AJAX functionality to the standard WordPress search filter. But this is not the only plugin’s possibility. It allows you to create filters to improve site navigation as well.
- creating AJAX search to display search results in real time;
- making filters based on taxonomies;
- constructing a filter for the list of Elementor posts.
- adding AJAX functionality to the built-in WordPress search engine.
- free version with limited features;
- $39 per year for one site.
🚀 Best for creating posts filter on WordPress websites.
The Filter Everything plugin allows you to quickly create a search for a variety of parameters and custom post types. You can add a filter to the page using shortcodes or a widget. And it’s straightforward to do so. In addition, the plugin allows you to add keyword searches, which is convenient for different online stores.
- filter any post types;
- supports any filtering criteria;
- easy adding to the page using widgets or shortcodes;
- compatible with different page builders;
- supports search by keyword.
- using AJAX system;
- searching by keywords;
- different filtering options;
- compatibility with mobile devices.
Pricing: it has a free version. The PRO version costs $40 per year.
If your site has a lot of content or products, it can be difficult for users to find whatever they seek. In this case, you need a filter. It will help your WordPress site visitors quickly find what they are interested in without browsing everything else.
In fact, WordPress has built-in functionality – just pick “Search” from the building blocks. But such a search has limited functions. Choose a plugin if you need more options for creating a website search and filtering system.
These plugins help users filter the content on your site and quickly find what they need. They significantly affect the comfort of users in communicating with your site. For example, imagine you want to buy the book “55 Biscuit Recipes,” and there is no filter or search bar on the bookstore website. You must go through all 180 web pages to find the right book. What is the probability that you will end up buying it?
In this article, I compared 12 different plugins. As you can see, they are similar, but:
- some are suitable for professionals, and some for beginners;
- some work with online stores, and some only with blogs;
- there are free and paid plugins;
- some have only filtering/search features, and some have both.
If you want to choose the perfect plugin, it is essential to keep your goals in mind and choose based on them. Let’s briefly recall which plugins you read about in this article.
- Best Filter Plugins: JetSmartFilters, Product Filter by WBW, Husky Products Filter, Blog Filter Gallery;
- Best Search Plugins: JetSearch, ElasticPress, Swiftype Site Search Plugin, Ivory Search;
- Best Search and Filter Plugins: Search and Filter PRO, FacetWP, AJAX Search Pro, Filter Everything.